What is Red Light Therapy?
Red light therapy (RLT) is a treatment that aids in the healing of your skin, muscle tissue, and other body parts. It exposes you to low-intensity red or near-infrared light. Infrared light is a type of energy that your eyes cannot see but that your body can detect as heat. Red light is similar to infrared light, but it can be seen.
You may have heard red light therapy (RLT) referred to by other names, such as:
- photobiomodulation (PBM)
- low level light therapy (LLLT)
- soft laser therapy
- cold laser therapy
- photonic stimulation
- low-power laser therapy (LPLT)
What Is the Process of Red Light Therapy?
Red light therapy involves exposing your skin to a red light-emitting lamp, device, or laser. A component of your cells known as mitochondria, also known as the "power generators" of your cells, absorbs it and converts it into energy. According to some experts, this helps cells repair themselves and become healthier. This promotes skin and muscle tissue healing.
Red light therapy devices, such as the Lumitter™ Tabletop, emits very low levels of heat and does not cause pain or burns to the skin. It is not the same type of light used in tanning booths, and it does not expose your skin to UV rays that are harmful.
What Is It Used For?
Red light therapy has been around for a while now and studies are constantly being conducted. Although there is still much scepticism around red light therapy the treatments that it can heal are listed below:
- Dementia. People with dementia who received near-infrared light therapy on their heads and through their noses on a regular basis for 12 weeks had better memories, slept better, and were less angry.
- Dental pain. Another small study found that red light therapy reduced pain, clicking, and jaw tenderness in people with temporomandibular dysfunction syndrome (TMD).
- Hair loss. Men and women with androgenetic alopecia (a genetic disorder that causes hair loss) who used an at-home RLT device for 24 weeks grew thicker hair, according to one study. Participants in the study who used a bogus RLT device did not achieve the same results.
- Osteoarthritis. According to one study, red and infrared light therapy reduced osteoarthritis-related pain by more than 50%.
- Wrinkles, as well as other signs of skin ageing and damage. According to research, RLT may help to smooth your skin and reduce wrinkles. RLT can also help with acne scars, burns, and UV sun damage.
What are the risks of red light therapy?
Red light therapy is generally regarded as safe, despite the fact that there is still a lot of questions regarding how it works. With the sector growing there are a lot of brands out there selling below quality products, so its important that the device being used is approved by the FDA.
Choose a high-quality, FDA-registered device, such as the Lumitter™. Many cheaper brands are not registered with the FDA and do not adhere to GMP (Good Manufacturing Practices).
Where Can You get Red Light Therapy?
One option is the doctors office. However, some salons and dental offices do it as well. You can also purchase a red light therapy device on your own from Lumitter™. We list the top 5 best red light therapy devices on the market today.
Our top picks are as follows:
- Lumitter™ Full Body - this is our largest and most powerful device, with a large coverage area that is suitable for most body types and conditions.
- Lumitter™ Targeted PRO - our most popular device, offering the ideal balance of size, power output, device quality, and coverage area.
- Lumitter™ Handheld - our smallest device, with the same power output as our larger devices but the added benefit of being light and portable. This device is ideal for delivering precise treatments.
- Joovv Mini - The offers high-quality devices and excellent products. The only disadvantage is that it is the most expensive red light therapy company on the market.
- Joovv Solo - This is a high-quality device that is similar in size, coverage area, and power output to our Lumitter™ Fullbody, however at a more expensive price and with less functionality
Contact our knowledgeable staff to learn more about the Lumitter™ line of devices and to determine which device is best for you. We are currently experiencing minor shipping delays as a result of Covid-19, but our expert staff is working full-time from home and ready to assist you in finding the device that best suits your lifestyle.
As always, if you have any additional questions or need help choosing the best device for you and your family, please send us a message via live chat and our team will assist you.